Last night at a women’s event at our church the speaker shared that during her career someone asked her who she was. Like many of us, she didn’t have an answer immediately. This same person then told her that she needed to define who she was or someone else would do it for her. I’ve been thinking about that since I woke up.
The sinful world is ready to define us, but it is God’s opinion that counts. The more we agree with God about our identity in Christ, the more our behavior will begin to reflect our God-given identity.
Our identity doesn’t depend on something we do or have done. Our true identity is who God says we are. We need to accept what God says about us, agree with Him that it is true of us, and become the spiritual person we already are. We need to know who we are in Christ so that we can live our lives as God intended and fulfill our destiny. Understanding who we are in Christ will give us a strong foundation on which to build our lives. Knowing who we are in Jesus is the key to a successful Christian life and a life lived ON purpose.
When we choose to follow Jesus, we became a new creation, the old passes away and we become who we are in Him. Let’s stop living out of who other people say we are and take hold of the truth of God’s word. Find out what God says about you and agree with Him.
Because we are in Christ, EVERY ONE of these statements is true of us.
- I am loved. (1 John 3:1)
- I am accepted. (Ephesians 1:6)
- I am a child of God. (John 1:12)
- I am Jesus’ friend. (John 15:14)
- I am a joint heir with Jesus, sharing His inheritance with Him. (Romans 8:17)
- I am united with God and one spirit with Him. (1 Corinthians 6:17)
- I am a temple of God. His Spirit and His life lives in me. (1 Corinthians 6:19)
- I am a member of Christ’s body. (1 Corinthians 12:27)
- I am one of God’s Holy People. (Ephesians 1:1)
- I am redeemed and forgiven. (Colossians 1:13-14)
- I am complete in Jesus Christ. (Colossians 2:10)
- I am free from condemnation. (Romans 8:1)
- I am a new creation because I am in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- I am chosen of God, holy and dearly loved. (Colossians 3:12)
- I am established, anointed, and sealed by God. (2 Corinthians 1:21)
- I do not have a spirit of fear, but of love, power, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- I am God’s co-worker. (2 Corinthians 6:1)
- I am seated in heavenly places with Christ. (Ephesians 2:6)
- I have direct access to God (Ephesians 2:18)
- I am chosen to bear fruit (John 15:16)
- I am one of God’s living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house. (1 Peter 2:5)
- I have been given exceedingly great and precious promises by God by which I share His nature. (2 Peter 1:4)
- I can always know the presence of God because He never leaves me (Hebrews 13:5)
- God works in me to help me do the things He wants me to do (Philippians 2:13)
- I can ask God for wisdom and He will give me what I need. (James 1:5)
Simply choose to believe what God says about you.
- Bible Gateway
- Who I Am In Christ